WinMX is a P2P program that suited mp3 files to download. WinMX uses the WinMX Peer Network "and" OpenNapservers, this work according to the protocol of the disappeared Napster.
In September 2005 the network was no longer accessible by WinMX, the website was no longer reach the creators of the program were under pressure from the U.S. record industry stopped. WinMX users have been able to start, there is a patch MxPie (Peer Integration Exchange) network is developed and started back.
Pity is that the look messy in several boxes, the makers of WinMX have their priorities clear to the functionality of the program and not on the appearance of the program.
The program contains no spyware and is free.
WinMX and MxPie download
Download WinMX, or website oldApps.
- Install MxPie, the patch installer will lead you through the installation of PxPie.
- WinMX install, the Setup Wizard will lead you through the intallatie of WinMX.
After downloading the program can be installed, this is on the well known manner and need no explanation.
- After installation, the Setup Wizard WinMX open. there appears a welcome window.
Here you must enter a Username, it is not necessary that the username is original . WinMX adds a number of identical names so be avoided.
The connection you choose, Dail-up connection is a telephone which is usually a 56K modem. Cable for cable connections, DSL connections for ADSL. T1 and T3 for a direct access to the internet.
WinMX, the internet connection test. Usually gives no problems. Wait until the test is over.
If you are behind a firewall or router on the network it is possible that you must manually open up ports, information about which ports you have open and how you can find on router & firewall
The Connection Status is yellow, WinMX is currently connecting to the Internet.
We will choose which folder(s) we release so that other WinMX users files in the folder(s) are able to download.
You can choose "Auto-scan your local hard drive(s) for folders". I advise you not to, otherwise you go your whole PC parts with other downloaders.
We choose "Manually add folders", then we can choose which folder(s) we release.
Click on Continu.
Here we can indicate how WinMX Exit.
Minimize to the tray and run in backgroud.
Completely exit hte program.
We have chosen to fully close and put a checkmark in "Don't show this again" so this window does not come back next time as we WinMX shut down.
WinMX has a lot of options, the manual would be much too long for them to discuss. We will therefore only the main discussion so that your knowledge can make with WinMX.
Search with WinMX
Start WinMX, we get the window "Network" to see. If there is a connection to the Internet the connection is green.
- Standard WinMX is set to mp3 files search. By clicking on the MP3 Audio -All bitrates, you can refine the search.
- We choose here for MP3 Audio Bitrate minimum/192 kbps. From 192 kbps begin a better quality of the mp3's it. You can of course choose which setting you prefer. You notice that you select a lot of possibility.
- In the field "Artist and/or title" fill in what we want to search, and with the Search button start we start the search.
- The two text fields should not be filled, you can only search by artist or title. Try it once with a famous artist.
- Here we get the result of the search to see in the column "Status/Server", we can see whether the file is available for download. 6 of 6 available
There are 6 downloads possible, the user gives permission to 6 simultaneous downloads to allow.
- 3 in queue (0 of 1 available)
There are 3 waiting at the moment there are 0 downloads available. The user gives permission for 1 simultaneous download.
We go from green results we choose which file to download. In the other column is about the size of the file, playing the mp3, bitrate, the Internet connection of the uploader etc..
- In order to download double-click the selected file.
- The transfer window is open, in the upper window, we can follow the downloads.
- Blue text: is a downloaded file.
- Green text: is the download.
- Orange text: wait for a response from the network.
- Red text: the download is interrupted (is not shown).
In the lower window, we can follow the uploads in the example there are no uploads.
WinMX contains many options for the program to your own taste, but here we will not go into here. To learn about the program is this guide enough.